Tuesday, September 21, 2010

02 - Things I Can't Live Without

In no particular order:

1. Change of Seasons
As listed below, the change of seasons offers different environments for the same site as well as offering a challenge to the designer.
Photo courtesy of en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fall_tree.png

2. Functionality and Versatility
I have found that I am drawn to spaces which serve many functions or spaces which can be changed and modified based on user and function.  I feel spaces should accommodate different people and if the architecture is lasting, it should accommodate different time periods.  I have always felt that architecture should be used, not stuck in a picture for all of time.

3. American Historic Homes
I have such a strong love for historical sites.  This love is specifically directed towards 18th and 19th century residences of America.  I enjoy, so much, visiting places and seeing the materials and techniques used to build basic shelter structures.  As well as the non basic structures for that matter, such as Mount Vernon, or plantations in the south. I love seeing the transition of important spaces through time. 

Fairbanks House - Oldest stick built house in America
Photo courtesy of www.fairbankshouse.org/

4. The knowledge of my family history
To know where I come from and where my family has been and the accomplishments they have made is so interesting to me.  I think this is relevant to architecture in that every place on Earth has been touched by humans, there fore every site has a past, and the past may be relevant to the present and future and is something to look into for projects.

5. My father
Of course I love him because he is my father - but he is especially important to me and who I have become because he always pushed me to find out how and why.  How are things built?  How does it work?  Why are they built correctly or incorrectly?  How can I make it better?  We have always been taught that it is important to design with engineering and mechanical considerations.  This is not to say, feel limited, but to think about how something can or will be built.  My father has given me the basic knowledge to make that a reality.

6. Frank Llyod Wright
As cliche as it may sound, I am very fond of FLW's work.  I think this became apparent to me when I took a class trip to the Zimmerman House by FLW in Manchester, NH.  This was a simple house in a suburban area with two bedrooms and a bath.  The house rarely makes it into FLW books, but the house was so simply amazing.  Every detail was considered and designed.  The Zimmerman house was designed to maximize every square inch.  I am absolutely in love with that house, and look forward to visiting his more famous works. 































Zimmerman House by Frank Lloyd Wright, Manchester, NH Photo courtesy of velvetcushion.com

7. Water
Of course we all can't live without water.  But whether it be the ocean, a lake, a river, a stream or a small water feature, water has always spoken to me architecturally.  I always feel it's an important feature in design.

8. Trees
Of course none of us can live without trees either!  But I find a lot of design inspiration in trees as many species of trees are a natural shade source in the hot summer, and lose their leaves to let light through in the cold winters.  Trees are also our source of wood, which can have so many different faces.  Light, dark, rough, smooth, small, large...it can always be incorporated in design, or inspire a design.

9. Outdoor space
We as humans are a peice of nature.  I think it is important to have some outdoor relief and be a part of nature.


10. Max Hayden
As my first architect boss when I was 18, Max taught me so much about seeing.  He really taught me how to look at something and see it.  He taught me how important detail or the lack of detail can be and I will always thank him for that.

Photo Courtesy of maxhaydenarchitect.com

11. Symmetry vs. Balance
I am not a symmetrical person.  In fact, I would say I prefer asymmetry.  But I do believe balance is important for something to visually please me.

No comments:

Post a Comment