Sunday, September 26, 2010

Shutters

I am beginning to focus my train of thought for my thesis.  I am focusing on the history of vernacular architecture (in New England I think) in regards to climate mitigation.

It is common knowledge that shutters were once used to protect windows.  I once asked why there was a difference from louvered shutters to raised panel shutters, and why they were both on some houses.... the response was that the louvers were to allow for airflow, but sometimes caused issues on the first floor in the way of privacy and safety. The raised panel shutter was then used on the first floor, while the louvered shutter was used on the upper floors.  I am on a hunt to find this information from a scholarly source!

Check out these shutters from a Country Living Article

No comments:

Post a Comment